Proving The Truth

In a case in Ann Arbor concerning emergency room treatment, our client's decedent, a 34 year-old man, went to the emergency room with severe abdominal and back pain. There was a shift change in emergency room doctors. Although the first doctor started the work up of the patient, the second doctor who came on duty never followed up. He said that the patient was fine when he left the emergency room. We proved the truth, that his blood pressure and pulse were far from normal, and that the results of his blood tests showed he needed to be admitted to the hospital. If he had been, he would be living today. Faced with the truth, the jury decided in our favor with a verdict of nearly $2 million. They recognized that the loss of a husband and a father to a child meant a lifetime of lost memories and lost love.

In an orthopedic surgery case in Detroit, our client, a 70 year-old woman, had a hip replacement done. When she stood on it the next day, her femur fractured. Her doctor didn't believe her and sent her to rehabilitation at a different hospital. At the new hospital, they x-rayed her leg and found out it was fractured. The orthopedic surgeon said that something must have happened in rehabilitation. We proved the truth, that the post-operative x-ray showed that the prosthesis from the hip replacement was at the edge or through the bone and a fracture was inevitable as soon as our client stood on it. The fact that the defendants had four expert witnesses, two lawyers, and a slick computerized video system and models didn't work. The plain and simple truth won, and the jury awarded us nearly $2 million.

In a psychiatry case in Ann Arbor, an 18 year-old boy had the first depressive crisis of his life and ended up committing suicide, despite having been in treatment with a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist's notes indicated that the boy refused hospitalization and wanted to continue outpatient treatment with the psychiatrist. We took those records to a brilliant psychiatrist who reviewed them and announced that he believed the records were false. He pointed out the records that he believed were made up after the fact by the psychiatrist to put himself in a better light. We took the documents to a document examiner who determined conclusively that the very comments that our brilliant psychiatrist pointed out were made in a different ink at a later time – after the patient's death. We proved the truth, and presented with the evidence, the psychiatrist admitted he had altered the records and the case settled weeks afterward for nearly a million dollars.