Statistically, younger drivers are more likely to get into motor vehicle accidents than older drivers. This is because their lack of experience makes them vulnerable to driving on Michigan roads and highways in an unsafe manner. For example, they may be more likely to drive at excessive speeds, under the influence of controlled substances or while using their cellphones. As a parent, it’s important to understand what to do if your son or daughter is in a wreck.

Find out if your son or daughter has sought medical treatment

It’s critical to see a doctor as quickly as possible after a motor vehicle accident. Doing so may make it possible to treat a concussion, internal bleeding or other serious conditions in a timely manner. Obtaining timely treatment may make it possible to minimize the severity of any injuries that your son or daughter may experience.

Make sure that your child has the information needed to make a claim

The first thing that you’ll want to do is to make sure that your son or daughter has access to a police report and other relevant documents. These documents may include a copy of the other driver’s insurance card, a copy of that person’s license and witness statements. It may be possible to contact your local police department to get the information that will be needed to file a claim in a timely manner.

Is your child on your insurance policy?

It’s fairly common for a teen to be included on a parent’s car insurance policy. If this is true for your child, you’ll likely need to be involved in the process of working with the insurance company after your kid’s motor vehicle accident. Ideally, you’ll file a claim within 24 hours of the accident.

If your child is an accident, it’s important to ensure that he or she receives proper medical care as quickly as possible. Then, you should work with your teen to ensure that he or she has the evidence needed to properly complete the insurance claims process.

Muth Law, P.C.: Help After a Michigan Car Accident

At Muth Law, we help people who were hurt in car accidents. While we can’t heal your physical injuries, we can lift the emotional and financial burdens by seeking financial compensation for your injuries.

From our offices in Ann Arbor, Muth Law proudly works with people in Ypsilanti, Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County, and throughout Michigan. We handle car accident injury cases on a contingency fee, which means you will never pay us a fee unless we recover money for you.

Learn more about the people we represent, read testimonials from other people we have helped, and contact us today to schedule a free, confidential consultation to discuss how we can help. Call us at 734-481-8800 or by sending us an e-mail.

Categories: Auto Accidents